Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Getting Started Using Zotero
- What is it? Zotero is a free citation management tool that allows you to easily collect, store and cite sources
- How do I use it?
- Register for an account at https://www.zotero.org/. Although you are not required to register in order to use Zotero, registering allows you to sync files on multiple devices and to share your sources with other users
- Download either Zotero for Firefox and/or Zotero Standalone
- What can I do with it? It is a web-based tool that integrates seamlessly with Firefox, allowing you to "grab" sources by simply by clicking on an icon in your browser. You can then import your citations into Word to create in-text citations, footnotes and reference lists. Zotero supports a large number of citation formats.
- For a quick overview on getting started with Zotero, see Zotero Quck Start Guide
- Zotero has many features, too many to cover in this guide. Zotero offers a set of Screencast Tutorials that give detailed information on various features of the software
This site is compliant with the W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 (516) 463-6600 © 2000-2009 Hofstra University