Skip to main content
Fall 2020 - Axinn Library Reopening FAQ
Research Assistance - Fall, 2020
Research assistance will be available from anywhere live via Chat and Zoom 60+ hours a week, Monday-Sunday. You may chat with a librarian through the pop-out link on the library home page: https://www.hofstra.edu/library/. Through chat, librarians can share your screen and guide you through searches of relevant library resources, assist you with citing your sources, recommend online databases, etc. Walk-up reference services will not be available. HOWEVER, if you are in the Axinn Library - or anywhere else in the world - you may chat live with a librarian by visiting the library home page and clicking on the LIVE CHAT button on the right side of the page.
You may make a research appointment by visiting: https://libcal.hofstra.edu/appointments/. Appointments are one-on-one and enable you to a conversation about your research and clarify your information needs. If the reference desk is closed, you may text or email your research questions to our reference librarians 24/7 by visiting: https://libanswers.hofstra.edu/. We will respond to your inquiries ASAP when the reference desk hours resume.
Our library faculty serve as subject specialists in assigned fields. Please look at our list of subject specialists to identify the library faculty who can best support your research: http://www.hofstra.edu/library/library_contact.html#facsubject.
Reach out to your subject specialist to arrange to meet one-on-one via ZOOM to discuss your research and learn more about the many information sources available to you.
The print books are found on floors 4-8 in the
Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library:
Click here for the Library's hours: http://libguides.hofstra.edu/hulhours
QUICK ORIENTATION TO RESEARCH RESOURCES
- Begin your research at the Library Homepage.
- Lexicat is the online catalog for access to books, ebooks, journals, government documents, videos, vetted websites, and much more.
- We subscribe to many research databases and journal collections by subject.
- As you search our databases, you will see the Find Article button. If the full text of an article is not available, click on this button to discover other means of obtaining the article. The Find Article button will take you to the Journal Finder. Through Journal Finder, you may:
- Access the full-text of your article from another database.
- Determine that we only own the journal in print, and then request the article be scanned and emailed to you by using our Electronic Article Delivery Request service.
- Be referred to our free Interlibrary Loan service to request the article. All registered graduate students have an Interlibrary Loan account. Use your network username and password to log in.
- If you have a citation to a specific article and need to find it in full text, you can search Journal Finder directly with the name of the journal to find the article. Journal Finder will direct you to the print and electronic access points for the journal or recommend you use Interlibrary Loan to obtain the full text of the article.
- E-book Collections, Electronic Reference Collections and Government Information are always available.
- We offer access to over 65,000 streaming video titles and the Film and Media Library has about 10,000 VHS and DVD titles for on-campus use.
- Instructions for submitting theses and dissertations are here: https://www.hofstra.edu/library/library_libaxn_td_submit.html .
Resource and Collection Services
Resource and Collection Services staff work to provide content to users in the most efficient manner possible. We are dedicated to making the content you need available to you.
- Ares Electronic Reserve System Access electronic and print reserve materials using the Course Reserves tool link in Blackboard.
- Electronic Article Delivery Request This free service allows you to request an article be scanned and emailed to you if the only access to that article is in the print collection in Axinn Library.
- Interlibrary Loan This free service allows you to request books or articles the library does not own.
- My Library Account Create an account and keep track of what items you have checked out, renew online, etc.
This site is compliant with the W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 (516) 463-6600 © 2000-2009 Hofstra University