In Dimensions, you can get a Citations count based on publications in the Dimensions database, some additional citation metrics (see below), AND an Altmetric attention score. From the article record, you can view a list of citing papers, any supporting grants (with links to find more articles funded by that grant), as well as any linking patents, policy papers and clinical trials indexed in Dimensions. You can also link out to the Altmetric details page to find out where your article is getting attention from news, social media, etc.
For any search in Dimensions, the "Analytical Views" slider can be used to instantly interpret the results. While doing a search in Dimensions, click on any aspect of the "Analytical Views" on the right-hand side of the browser window to open this area by sliding across to the left of the screen, displaying the selected visual.
1. Navigate to Dimensions, authenticating with Northwell or Hofstra credentials as needed.
2. Run your search in Dimensions (sample search: misinformation AND medical librarian)
3. From the results page, click Analytical Views on the right-hand side.
4. Perform your analysis using the options.
In this example, we will search for multiple research organizations (Feinstein Institutes, Northwell Health, and ZSOM) in order to create a more comprehensive view of our organization's research output to analyze. Next, we will save the search so that we can go back to it in the future.
1. Navigate to Dimensions, logging in with your Hofstra/Northwell credentials as needed.
2. If you have not already, create a Dimensions account by clicking Register on the top right of the screen (this is separate from your Hofstra/Northwell account). This is needed to save searches in Dimensions.
3. Expand the Research Organizations filter in the left-hand column. Click on the more button on the bottom to begin your search, and then click on your organization to add it to your search.
4. Continue adding all of your organizations to the search string, and then press Limit To.
5. At this point, you have constructed your search. To save, click on Save/Export next to the search bar, and select the option to Save as Favorite.
6. Give your saved search a name in the pop-up window.
7. To navigate to your saved search, select the Favorites tab on the right and click on its name.
1. Open Dimensions, signing in with your credentials as needed.
2. Navigate to the Researcher filter in the left-hand column, and click on it. At the bottom of the list of researchers, click on More.
3. In the search box that appears, type the name of the researcher you are searching for. Click Limit To by their name to view their research output.
4. From here, you can view the researcher's profile and analyze their output.
Dimensions IDs and profiles are automatically created for all authors with publications in Dimensions. Occasionally, an author’s profile will reflect a past institutional affiliation. This is because Dimensions determines affiliation automatically by looking at how many publications in your profile are associated with each institution. It then assigns the institution with the most publications as the author’s affiliation. Eventually, as you continue to publish under Zucker SOM or Northwell Health your affiliation will switch over. The affiliation on your Dimensions profile will not affect the affiliation listed on individual publications or your ability to search for publications with your current Northwell affiliation
Dimensions integrates with Altmetric data. You can retrieve Altmetric data for an publication in Dimensions.
1. Run your search in Dimensions. From the results, select the publication of interest. Click on it to view the publication detail page.
2. On the right-hand side of the publication page, you can view the "Altmetric donut," with summary altmetric information.
3. For full information, click on the donut to go to the altmetrics page for the publication.
The ZSOM faculty profiles platform (https://faculty.medicine.hofstra.edu/), curated by our library staff, is now the place to find faculty on the ZSOM website. The profiles include contact information, academic appointments, publications, grants, photos, and narrative bios. The faculty profiles include publication listings from Web of Science, Scopus, PubMed and Dimensions, and grant information from Dimensions and our internal database. The site also uses citation metric information from dimensions. This publicly available site facilitates discovery of faculty and potential research collaborations by name or keywords within their profiles.
Click here for instructions on how to submit a new narrative bio or update a current one.
From the Zucker School of Medicine Faculty Profiles site, you can view Citation Metrics and Altmetrics for each publication listed.
1. Go to faculty.medicine.hofstra.edu
2. Search for a faculty member's name in the search box
3. Click on their name in the search results to view their profile.
4. On the top menu, navigate to the Publications tab
5. For every article with metrics information, badges in the lower right-hand corner labeled Citations and Am (altmetrics) will be visible. Click on each for more details.
If you would like help creating metrics reports for a researcher, lab group or unit, have questions about metrics or accessing the tools in this guide, or would like guidance on metrics not discussed in this guide, please contact:
Lena Bohman, Data Services and Research Impact Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org
This site is compliant with the W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 (516) 463-6600 © 2000-2009 Hofstra University