In the academic world you are expected to cite all sources that you use. Books, journal articles, newspaper articles, images, websites and videos all must be cited in the proper style. In the Humanities, the MLA style of citation is generally used.
Why is it necessary to cite?
• Citing makes it possible for your readers to locate your source.
• By citing, you provide evidence for your arguments.
• It is ethically correct to give credit to authors whose original ideas you use.
• Citing lends authority to the information you present.
• And, of course, by citing the words and ideas of others you will avoid plagiarizing.
This site is compliant with the W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 (516) 463-6600 © 2000-2009 Hofstra University