Skip to Main Content
Allowable & Unallowable Costs
Reasonable, allowable costs may be included in NIH budget requests for:
- Curating data
- Developing supporting documentation
- Formatting data according to accepted community standards, or for transmission to and storage at a selected repository for long-term preservation and access
- De-identifying data
- Preparing metadata to foster discoverability, interpretation, and reuse
- Local data management considerations, such as unique and specialized information infrastructure necessary to provide local management and preservation (for example, before deposit into an established repository).
- Preserving and sharing data through established repositories, such as data deposit fees.
- If the Data Management & Sharing (DMS) plan proposes deposition to multiple repositories, costs associated with each proposed repository may be included.
From the NIH
- Infrastructure costs that are included in institutional overhead (for instance, Facilities and Administrative costs)
- Costs associated with the routine conduct of research, including costs associated with collecting or gaining access to research data.
- Costs that are double charged or inconsistently charged as both direct and indirect costs
Budgeting for Data Management & Sharing - NIH
To request funds toward DMS costs, investigators should include:
- A line item in the budget form
- A brief summary of the DMS Plan and a description of the requested DMS costs in the budget justification
All requested direct costs to support the activities proposed in the DMS Plan must be indicated as “Data Management and Sharing Costs” as follows:
- R&R Budget Form: single line item in section F. Other Direct Costs
- PHS 398 Modular Budget Form: as text embedded within the Additional Narrative Justification
A brief summary of the DMS Plan and a description of the requested DMS costs must also be included within the budget justification attachment.
From the NIH
Where to Get Help
Questions on budgeting can be directed to the Grants Management Office at Northwell:
Office main line: (516) 465-2776
This site is compliant with the W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 (516) 463-6600 © 2000-2009 Hofstra University